Some dog breeds have more potential to cause injuries to a victim than other breeds and this is exactly why we call them “dangerous”. Based on the number of accidents caused by different dog breeds in US and Canada, I have compiled the list of top 10 most dangerous dog breeds.
According to the research from Animal people in US and Canada – right from the period September 1882 to 31 December 2012 — Pitbulls and Rottweilers have topped the dangerous dog breeds list because they are supposed to be causing more dog fatalities and injuries.
Check out the table below for detailed statistics
Breed Bodily harm Child Victims Adult Victims Deaths Maiming % of dog population Pit bull 2235 911 806 233 1268 4.4 Rottweiler 495 278 131 81 277 2.2 Husky 71 44 5 24 20 0.05 German shepherd 96 60 28 14 59 2.3 Chow 55 36 16 7 37 0.01%
No 1: Pitbulls
If you are someone, who is familiar with almost all the dog breeds, then I am sure, seeing a “Pitbull” in the list of “top 10 most dangerous dogs” must be a big surprise. When compared to other dog breeds, death rates caused by Pitpulls are far higher. Due to its aggressive nature, some state governments have even banned breeding of Pitbulls.
It weighs around 55 to 65 lbs.
Facts About Pit Bulls
- Though these dedicated companions love people more than anything but improper training can sometimes make them aggressive. They can even attack humans if not trained the right way. Otherwise, they won’t harm humans
- 86.8% of American Pit Bull Terriers have passed their temperament tests
- No matter what the task is, when pit bulls are committed to any task, they carry out it with full enthusiasm. It’s often the nature of pit bulls, which make us think that they have locking Jaws especially when they bite on something and refuse to release it that easily
- Pitbulls are widely known for illegal sport of dog fighting
No 2: Rottweilers
Rottweilers occupy second place in my list of “top 10 most dangerous dog breeds”. As a territorial animal, these can guard your home really well. Most owners of Rottweilers find them bit soft. But they can get aggressive if they are not trained right.
These dogs weigh around 100 to 130 lbs
- Rottweilers fall under “working dog breeds” category. It is one of the widely known Rottweiler facts
- Life expectancy of this dangerous dog breed is around 12 to 14 years
- After completing their first year, Rottweilers are considered as adults. 1 Rottweiler year is equivalent to 16 years of human age. After they complete 2 years, just add 5 years to find its equivalent human age
- Generally, Rottweilers are considered unsuitable for family pet
No 3: Huskies
Although Huskies look puffy and soft, reports say that 15 people have died in the last 20 years because of them. Since these dogs are very energetic, they should be taken on regular walks. A well-trained Huskey will be very loyal to its family’s lives.
- Although huskies have nabbed a spot in the list of most dangerous dog breeds, generally they are more friendly towards children, your visitors and other dogs. But again, you should train them properly
- However, factors like improper training, poor socialization and bad social experiences can turn them aggressive
- Due to its high shedding, huskies often don’t suit people who are allergic to dog hairs or want their home to be clean all the time
No 4: German Shepherds
“German Shepherd” is a very intelligent and powerful animal. However, they are reported to be more dangerous too. That’s why it has raised them to 4th in the list of top ten most dangerous dogs. These dogs can serve you loyal but when they are not treated well, they can be dangerous too.
It weighs around 100 lbs.
- German shepherd Facts
- Even though their aggressive nature had labeled them to be as one of the dangerous dogs but when they are trained properly, believe me — they are your best companion (and I’m saying this from my personal experience)
- By nature, German Shepherd is fond of food, fun and friends
- These dogs show immense curiosity in exploring their surroundings. If you own one, you must have observed. This inquisitiveness behavior is apparently when he or she is a puppy
- German shepherd can pick up great speed & at the same time can halt all of a sudden without stumbling on anything or its surroundings
- German shepherd is an extreme hair shredder. Even if you brush its hair for every 15 minutes, you will still see hairs floating in air. So brush its hair every day if you want to keep your home hygiene
- Though German Shepherds are subject to suffer from many different types of illnesses, most common one is “hip dysplasia”, which occurs due to poor breeding practices
No 5: Alaskan Malamutes
In my list of list of top 10 most dangerous dogs, Alaskan Malamutes are very intelligent breeds. Just like Huskies, these are very energetic. However, when their energy is not used positively, they can turn aggressive.
It weigh around 100 lbs.
Facts About Alaskan Malamutes
- Alaskan malamutes are slow learners. So you will need a lot of patience to train these dog breeds
- These dogs are prolific hair shedders. Just bring Alaskan Malamutes to your home and watch how sooner your home is piled with whole lot of hairs
- Alaskan Malamutes have the ability to make variety of sounds in order to convey their needs to you. As these dog breeds enjoy human company, you got to spend plenty of time with them to keep them happy
- They need whole lot of energy, exercise, love and your attention too. Malamutes that lack exercises frequently misbehave & at times can turn dangerous too
- They are ridiculously friendly with well-behaved kids
- These dog breeds insist you to allow them to be a part of your family activities
No 6: Doberman Pinschers
Dobermans are widely known for alertness, loyalty and intelligence. You can see these dogs guarding almost everywhere. It usually attacks when its master’s family faces some sort of danger. It also takes over when it is aroused.
It weighs around 65 to 90 lbs
Doberman Pinschers Facts
- These intelligent dog breeds are often referred as “Dogs with a human brain”. Although Doberman pinchers serve you faithfully, you still have to train them properly with your leadership. Else, they assume they are the leaders
- These dogs will do their best when they have something to do. They can even watch TV, help your business and suddenly can sit on your lap too. However, they are completely reserved with strangers.
- Doberman pinchers can do self-estimations. So if your family is being threatened, you don’t have to utter a word. They will automatically sense and do everything to protect you
- As these dogs are highly intelligent and energetic, improper training can cause behavioral issues. This is why it has made my list of dangerous dog breeds.
- These dog breeds are more sensitive to sounds. In fact, they can hear sounds 250 yards away
No 7: Chow Chows
These dogs are very independent. However, when they are not bred with proper attention, they easily turn aggressive. As one of the top ten most dangerous dogs, it weighs around 70 lbs.
Chow Chow Facts
- Chow Chow dog breed is the only dog breed that has purplish lips and tongue
- Originating in China, Chow Chows are there since 4000 years. Therefore, they are believed to be one of the oldest dog breeds. Some experts believe that these dogs were the very ones to be evolved from wolves.
- Chow Chows are usually stubborn. As they are more dominant, it’s good to train and socialize them when they are young
- Once Chow Chows complete 1 year, they should be considered adults
No 8: Great Danes
Great Danes are claimed to be unique dog breeds, capturing the attention of public wherever they go. These dogs weigh around 200 pounds. Since they are gigantic, you can imagine the kind of fear they can pose on an opponent. Even if you are fond of dogs, when you look at it suddenly, it can startle you. However, Great Danes must be trained with adequate exercises. On the other hand, if you fail to give the kind of attention it requires, it starts to rebel. Long walks are necessary for this dog breed.
These dogs weigh around 200 pounds.
Facts About Great Danes
- “Giant George”, a Great Dane was measured 43-inches tall but it weighed only 245 pounds. It made a Guinness record for being the world’s tallest dog ever. There is a short sweet story about this gentle giant. You can read more about this here: “Top 10 Biggest Dog Breeds in the World”.
- Apartment living is quite fine for this huge dog breed. Just half-an-hour walk a day can keep Great Danes fit
- Great Danes grow rapidly. Within a year, it can grow 6 feet tall
- These dog breeds barely eat their food
- Great Danes are one among emotionally sensitive dog breeds. They won’t respond well to hard training methods. On the other hand, anxiety can easily kill this dog (in less than an hour)
- You can’t expect a poorly bred Great Dane to be a Scooby Doo friendly anyway
No 9: Boxer
Even though “Boxer” is listed one among the top 10 most dangerous dog breeds, by nature these are not so aggressive. Boxers are very intelligent and hard to train. Since these dogs stay energetic the entire day, their energy has to be utilized in positive ways.
It can weigh around 70 lbs.
Facts About Boxers
- In United States, Boxers are the sixth most popular dog breeds
- They became popular after WW-II when soldiers brought them home as their pets
- One of the most funny facts about boxers is that they snore loud
- In the past, you could have seen boxers in circus ring performances. The reason: they are intelligent and easily trainable. Thus, people used them to make money
- Originally, these dog breeds were developed in Germany. There they are still used as police dogs
- Boxers are loyal and die to please you. But if you punish them hardly for their wrong behaviors, they will turn worse
No 10: Akitas
Akitas are very bold dogs. They are not much dangerous. They can be easily controlled with little training.
Facts About Akitas
- Akitas are loyal and fearless companion for your family
- This dog breed would not back down from challenges in any situation and can’t be frightened so easily
- If you don’t train and socialize them properly, this affectionate yet bold animal can screw up and turn into one of the most dangerous dog breeds